I was talking with one of my African American clients who has natural hair at Tracy Riggs Salon. I was telling her about the exciting new launch of our Curl Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner. Her question to me was, “What’s the difference between a hydrating or moisturizing shampoo and a clarifying shampoo?” It occurred to me that as a professional stylist I need to make sure I educate my clients on product knowledge. And about caring for natural hair.
Clarifying shampoos remove product build-up, hard water, and mineral deposits from your hair. It’s a good chance product buildup, hard water, and mineral deposits could be contributing to your “Janky” Bad Hair Days!
So here it is, my Naturals!
Here’s The 411 on WHEN & WHY to Clarify your Naturally Curly Hair.
1. BEFORE YOU COLOR YOUR HAIR –Clarifying your natural hair before coloring it is good foundation preparation for beautiful hair coloring!
2. AFTER SWIMMING –Clarifying after being in the pool or at the beach is a great way to remove all hard water and mineral deposits. Do this before applying your conditioner and oils to your hair.
3. TO REMOVE PRODUCT BUILDUP FROM YOUR HAIR –Clarifying to remove product build-up should be done at least once a month for natural hair. It removes all the yuck from your natural hair and scalp. This will prepares your hair for a great hair day the rest of the month. This is also great to do with your 30 min deep conditioning.
4. HELP WITH ITCHY SCALP-Got an itchy scalp? Try using a clarifying shampoo. Clarify your natural hair and scalp before applying conditioner and oils. This will allow both your hair and scalp to receive optimum benefits from these products.
5. FOR HAIR THAT GETS OILY WITHIN A FEW DAYS OF SHAMPOOING – Believe it or not, some people with naturals never have to worry about dry hair! YES, it’s TRUE! with all the talk about dry natural hair on blogs and social media, you would think that ALL hair is dry. But not true- although these “no dry hair for me DIVAS” don’t have to worry about dry hair, they do have to worry about oily hair. YES!- with oily hair comes oily skin and no bounce to their beautiful tresses. For those out there with oily hair, clarify once before applying your “gentle” shampoo doing this will give your hair a squeaky clean base so that you are bouncing for days!
“My goal is to help women with natural hair achieve a simplified hair care regimen so that you can have all your hair care questions about your naturally curly hair answered and all of your hair care products provided for you so that you can enjoy and have a wonderful toxic free quality of life.” -Tracy Riggs Founder of Bye Bye Parabens
About the author : Tracy Riggs
Founder of Bye Bye Parabens. A Charlotte Based Business and owner of Tracy Riggs Salon. With a career over 25 years, Tracy is an international award-winning celebrity master hairstylist.